smartd errors

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 27 18:52:37 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:39:43AM -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> I have unmounted the filesystems and run fsck on them and fsck
> reports no errors.
[...]
> Should I be concerned about what smartd is saying?

Yes, you should. Fsck only checks the integrity of the filesystem
structures. It's basically like walking into a library, going through
the card catalog without looking at any books, and then declaring that
the books are all fine. Well, maybe they area. You can be fairly sure
that the whole building hasn't burned down yet, because otherwise the
card catalog would be gone too, but you can't _really_ guarantee that
there's nothing smoldering in the stacks.

Smartd, on the other hand, accesses low-level diagnostics built into
the disk itself.

> How do I, if possible, correct this?

By backing up your data and replacing your drive, sooner rather than
later.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>