Realtek r8169 always flapping

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 30 02:55:15 UTC 2015

Allegedly, on or about 29 October 2015, Kseniya Blashchuk sent:
> Lol - the reason was in a power saving mode. Setting it to high
> performance did the trick.

Hmm, wonder if it would work properly on Windows while in power saving
mode?  My thinking being that they may put something in their own driver
software to compensate for hardware flaws.  Rather than redesign their
hardware to remove the flaws.  It was a common enough practice, and I'm
sure it still goes on.

I'm always a bit suspicious of power saving modes.  Firstly whether they
save any significant amount of power to make it worth while, whether
it's worth saving power if you then have to wait for things to wake up,
and whether they will wake up.  I've seen things that just go into a
coma, or require resetting once woken up (and they don't get reset
automatically).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

Windows (TM) [Typhoid Mary]. They refuse to believe that there's
anything wrong with it, but everyone else knows Windows is a disease
that spreads.