Bluetooth woes (again)

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Oct 30 04:30:02 UTC 2015

On 10/29/2015 11:03 PM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 29 October 2015, Rick Stevens sent:
>> I've been using my Logitech kb/mouse combo for, hmmm, three years.
>> I've had to replace the batteries on them innumerable times (2xAA for
>> the kb, 2xAA for the mouse) but they get used heavily 12 hours a day.
> That was one of my issues.  They don't seem designed for heavy use, just
> occasional interaction.
>
> I don't have any personal need for a wireless keyboard, I nearly always
> type at the same location, with a desktop computer:  You have a
> collection of hardware that's always going to be there (computer,
> monitor, speakers, etc.), anyway.
>
> But a cordless mouse does seem useful, thanks to how the cables wrap
> around things, then snag on something, though the battery and wireless
> issues outweigh that inconvenience (I used a wireless one for years, so
> it's bitter experience).  Long ago I saw what may be the best of both
> worlds, and I must go looking again:  Essentially, the mouse pad is
> plugged into the computer, and you have a cordless mouse that rides on
> top of it (a bit like a Wacom tablet, but using a mouse instead of a
> pen).  You get a cable free mouse, but don't need batteries, nor have to
> deal with wireless issues.  The mouse pad is about as static on the desk
> as a keyboard, so you don't have to deal with shifting cables getting
> caught on things.

Have you considered a trackball? There are some with scroll
capability, but I just have a ball and two buttons--Kensington
optical trackball. The low end ones that I use are around $25,
sometimes a bit less. Since the appliance doesn't move, the
cord doesn't get tangled up. Also, you don't need to have room
to move a mouse.

--doug