Bluetooth woes (again)

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Oct 30 17:01:16 UTC 2015

On 10/29/2015 09:30 PM, Doug wrote:

> On 10/29/2015 11:03 PM, Tim wrote:
>> Allegedly, on or about 29 October 2015, Rick Stevens sent:
>>> I've been using my Logitech kb/mouse combo for, hmmm, three years.
>>> I've had to replace the batteries on them innumerable times (2xAA for
>>> the kb, 2xAA for the mouse) but they get used heavily 12 hours a day.
>> That was one of my issues.  They don't seem designed for heavy use, just
>> occasional interaction.

I have to disagree, at least with this Logitech combo (I think it's
called the "Wave"). I beat the unholy crap out of these things for 12-14
hours a day and I've had very few issues other than the occasional
battery death at inopportune times. The desk change requiring the dongle
move was pretty painless once I figured out what was wrong (stuck the
dongle cradle under the desktop with some Velcro).

>> I don't have any personal need for a wireless keyboard, I nearly always
>> type at the same location, with a desktop computer:  You have a
>> collection of hardware that's always going to be there (computer,
>> monitor, speakers, etc.), anyway.

Me too, but I often find my desk is a dumping ground for oddball things
and a cord often becomes an issue (sometimes having electronics degrees
at a software firm is a "bad thing" :-)).

>> But a cordless mouse does seem useful, thanks to how the cables wrap
>> around things, then snag on something, though the battery and wireless
>> issues outweigh that inconvenience (I used a wireless one for years, so
>> it's bitter experience).  Long ago I saw what may be the best of both
>> worlds, and I must go looking again:  Essentially, the mouse pad is
>> plugged into the computer, and you have a cordless mouse that rides on
>> top of it (a bit like a Wacom tablet, but using a mouse instead of a
>> pen).  You get a cable free mouse, but don't need batteries, nor have to
>> deal with wireless issues.  The mouse pad is about as static on the desk
>> as a keyboard, so you don't have to deal with shifting cables getting
>> caught on things.

Yes, I don't know I'd ever use a corded mouse again if I'm given the
choice. The only gotcha is losing the dongle if you move around a bit.