Configuring/setup of WiFi card on Dell E6220 Laptop

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Sat Oct 31 22:47:16 UTC 2015

Greetings,

I've just installed F22 on a Dell E6220 laptop (in anticipations of next
week's F23 rollout).

;-)

A few issues left to squre

I'm trying to setup WiFi (the Ethernet device works correctly, btw).

There is an external switch controlling power to the card, and an
indicator light. Those show that the item is "on."

lspci -v for the WiFi card reports the following:

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n
 	Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1530 Half-size Mini PCIe Card
 	Memory at e1b00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
 	Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
 	Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
 	Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
 	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
 	Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
 	Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-19-ff-ff-5a-60-d8
 	Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
 	Kernel modules: bcma

iwconfig and ifconfig -a report no instance of the card.

In NetworkManager, this is no MAC address shown for a WiFi card when I try
to do a WiFi setup

I assume that is a kernel module issue. When I issue the

modprobe bcma

and then

lsmod | grep bcma

it shows that the module is loaded.

However having googled some on this subject, I see that there are probably
other modules (and configuration settings) required to make this WiFi card
operable.

Per suggestions, I have installed kmod-wl, akmod-wl, but I suspect that
there is something else that needs to be done.

Much thanks for any advice on this topic.

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com