Sorting iPhone image files -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Sep 1 14:42:56 UTC 2015

On 01/09/15 10:02, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 09/01/15 21:31, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> I have a number [thousands] of my daughter's iPhone files stored on my server, each one has an "IMG_xxxx" number however they don't seem to have a consistent relationship to date and time, not that we can sse anyway. However it appears that each file does have that information, e.g. datetime=2015:06:30 15:58:38]:
>>
>> [bobg at box10 Ginette]$ file IMG_4823.JPG
>> IMG_4823.JPG: JPEG image data, Exif standard: [TIFF image data, big-endian, direntries=10, manufacturer=Apple, model=iPhone 6 Plus, orientation=upper-right, xresolution=154, yresolution=162, resolutionunit=2, datetime=2015:06:30 15:58:38], baseline, precision 8, 3264x2448, frames 3
>>
>> So it seems there probably is either software to sort them or a script that would sort on the date shown by "file."
>>
>> What can I do to accomplish this?
>>

> You could do as Markku suggested or you could go a slightly different route and google "sort files by exif date" which will get you to a few java based tools to give you a GUI to perform the function.

.
Thanks Ed, I just found your message in Junk. I re-installed Thunderbird
late yesterday and apparently I've got something in the filters sending
messages to the wrong place! Viasat/Wildblue has changed our email
server away from gmail, and I have been filtering some spam to junk ...
I may have to switch back to gmail.

I'll try as you suggest and make note of it.

Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD