PCI-e SSD recommendation for a F22 machine

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri Sep 4 12:50:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 10:33:16 +0100 Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 September 2015 at 21:45, Ranjan Maitra
> <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if it is possible to use a PCI-e SSD for the root and swap partitions of a workstation running F22. I am thinking of installing F22 and my swap here -- the machine has 64GB memory. So I am considering getting a 128 GB PCI-e SSD, and leaving 96 GB for swap and 32 GB for /. /home will be on a different SATA HDD.
> >
> > Do you have any suggestions and recommendations for a 128 GB PCI-e SSD?
> >

> Well, since you've had no more useful answers than I can give, 32GB is
> just about enough for /. (I've squeezed home and / into that on my
> laptop, but need to keep an eye on space). It should work provided the
> motherboard supports it and there are modules in fedora for it
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3goigc/anyone_here_running_fedora_22_with_an_nvme_boot/

Thanks. Given Fedora mailing list's sudden general lack of activity from around the same time I posted, I was wondering if something had happened to the ML server.

Thank you for the pointer to that webpage.

There are PCI-e SSD slots on the machine, so I will take a look at the motherboard.

Funny, I was looking at a 128 GB Samsung PCI-e SSD referred to in the article -- gLad to know that it works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147431&cm_re=pci_ssd-_-20-147-431-_-Product

> Out of curiosity, what are you doing that needs that much memory? I
> was going to say with 64GB you probably don't need swap until I saw
> how much you were planning to allocate...

I do a lot of computing with my computers. Some of the alternative methods that I may replace requires a lot of memory. I belong to the old school where swap mattered a great deal, and so it was recommended to put 2x memory in there. But I am not sure if that is needed to be 2x as much anymore, This is the first time I will go down to 1.5x, thought 1x may well be adequate.

My plan is to have the "System" in Fedora Anaconda parlance in this SSD (for faster response times). The "Data" (/home) will be in the 2TB SATA which will be mirrored onto a H/W RAID 1 of another 2TB. And just for people like me who also like to see things, I will also have a backup of 2TB SSD, which will be backed up every 2 or 4 hourse using rsync with the appropriate options.

Many thanks again!

Ranjan