PCI-e SSD recommendation for a F22 machine

Mihamina Rakotomandimby mihamina.rakotomandimby at rktmb.org
Fri Sep 4 14:28:53 UTC 2015

On 09/04/2015 03:50 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, what are you doing that needs that much memory? I
>> >was going to say with 64GB you probably don't need swap until I saw
>> >how much you were planning to allocate...
> I do a lot of computing with my computers. Some of the alternative methods that I may replace requires a lot of memory. I belong to the old school where swap mattered a great deal, and so it was recommended to put 2x memory in there. But I am not sure if that is needed to be 2x as much anymore, This is the first time I will go down to 1.5x, thought 1x may well be adequate.
>
> My plan is to have the "System" in Fedora Anaconda parlance in this SSD (for faster response times). The "Data" (/home) will be in the 2TB SATA which will be mirrored onto a H/W RAID 1 of another 2TB. And just for people like me who also like to see things, I will also have a backup of 2TB SSD, which will be backed up every 2 or 4 hourse using rsync with the appropriate options.
>
> Many thanks again!

If I take the traditional computing scheme, such as compiling the Linux
kernel, much of the need is to also have fast storage in the code source
tree.

Depending on what compiler you use and what option you give it, the I/O
generated by object files (just an example) would kill your performances.

My suggestion would be to leave the system on the "slow disk", as you
boot one time, and put the source tree either in "tmpfs" or SSD.

HTH