OT: SSD or not to SSD, that is the question

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Sep 5 22:32:55 UTC 2015

On 09/05/2015 11:59 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> Finally, I also recommend an SSD for your system drive. For /var, not so
> important, but the OS it is fantastic.

Having /var (more precisely /var/lib/mock and /var/cache/mock) on SSD is
important for mock. It speeds up mock-building rpms significantly.

However, this price for this is pretty high, because mock adds quite
significant amounts of additional diskspace requirements. Without mock,
a Fedora installation easily fits on 32GB (and less), when working w/
mock you need much more.

Ralf