Can't kill a umount

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Sep 6 14:07:37 UTC 2015

On 09/06/15 21:55, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I was copying some files to a newly set up USB HD, and then did some umounts when done.  Well they are still running, and
>
> kill pid
>
> is not killing them and they are taking up most of my cpu.
>
> I have never seen 'kill' fail.
>
> What can I do other than reboot?

Well, a kill will fail to kill if the process is a zombie or in an  uninterruptable state.  If top doesn't show any zombies then the process is probably uninterruptable and I think this shows up as a D state in top.

--
It seems most people that say they are "done talking about it" never really are until given the last word.