Can't kill a umount

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Sep 6 18:24:22 UTC 2015

On 09/06/2015 01:23 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2015 12:11:18 -0500 (CDT)
> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I get a "drive busy" message from umount,
>> which then fails.
>> In that case, a file has usually been open.
>> Does umount regard this as a different situation?
> The device busy means something is actively using it.
> The taking a long time to umount means no one is
> actively using it, but the in memory buffers haven't
> been completely flushed.

The system THOUGHT it was writing to the drive but I think the drive
just could not take what I was sending to it.  So when I went to unmount
the drive after the copying, umount just ran and ran for an hour and
then I figured something must be wrong...

The vendor offered to send me another drive.  Sigh.