NTP synchronized: no

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Sep 9 17:10:58 UTC 2015

On 09/09/2015 10:04 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>> On 09/09/2015 08:17 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> According to the domain administrator, the port is open.
>>> Could it be an issue with the firewall?
>>>
>>> iptables -L |grep udp
>>> ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             224.0.0.251          udp dpt:mdns ctstate NEW
>>> ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:ipp ctstate NEW
>>> ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:ipp ctstate NEW
>>>
>>> ntp is on the port 123
>>>
>>> In zone internal I checked ntp
>>>
>>> It is all I need?
>>
>> I don't think that's necessary. The firewall rules affect incoming
>> connections (it's a stateful firewall...if you initiate the connection,
>> the reply is permitted). I'd suggest looking at the system logs at this
>> point to see what's going on, e.g.:
>>
>> 	journalctl -u chrony -b
>>
>> Perhaps that'll give you some hints.
>>
> journalctl -u chrony -b
> -- Logs begin at Fri 2014-05-02 02:14:24 CEST, end at Wed 2015-09-09 19:02:05 CEST. --

Well, that's interesting! Looks like chrony never started! Try, as root,

	systemctl start chronyd

Wait for a few minutes, then check journalctl again. If you see data in
the logs then, as root:

	systemctl list-unit-files chrony*

See if you get output like this:

	UNIT FILE           STATE
	chrony-wait.service disabled
	chronyd.service     enabled

If you see "chronyd.service disabled", then as root:

	systemctl enable chronyd

to make sure it starts next time.