dracut fails to build bootable initramfs on fc22

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Sep 9 23:32:16 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a fc22 system that's been working fine and now for some reason
> kernel updates result in an unbootable system. It appears to be
> related to dracut failing to build a proper initramfs image.
>
> I have a default initramfs from 4.0.4-300 that works fine, but using
> dracut to build a new initramfs during a kernel update or building it
> manually fails. Rebooting the system only makes it to "Reached target
> Basic System" where it just stops.
>
> I really have no idea how to proceed, so I'd really appreciate any
> ideas for troubleshooting this further.

In the GRUB menu, press e to edit the default boot entry. Find the
linux16 or linuxefi line, scroll to the end and remove rhgb quiet. Add
systemd.log_level=debug rd.shell and then either control-x or F10 to
boot. You should get a ton more debugging information, and when
there's a failure you'll get a shell. There you can mount some volume
like a USB stick somewhere like /mnt or if that doesn't exist then use
/sysroot

and use:
journalctl -b -l -o short-monotonic > /sysroot/journal.txt
umount /sysroot

And then get that journal.txt file put up somewhere and post the URL here.

You might be able to figure it all out just by removing rhgb quiet
boot options; the failure cause may be on-screen so you could try that
first.

--
Chris Murphy