After a power cut my machine cannot boot

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Sep 10 01:11:31 UTC 2015

Paul Smith writes:

> Is there something, apart buying a UPS, that one can do in order to
> minimize the severity of the damage that a power outage can cause?

A UPS, paired with auto-shutdown software is the best possible defense
against damage due to unexpected power loss. But that's merely a formality,
since apcupsd or nut should be able to support most retail UPSes you can buy
off the shelf.

I've never had filesystem damage in ~20 years I've been running off UPSes. I
usually have a power failure 1-2 times a year. Each time my UPSes gave me
sufficient time to log in to every server, and bring it down.

Even the few times one of them turned out to have a weak battery it still
had enough juice for the autoshutdown to kick in immediately, and bring the
server down all by itself, without waiting for me.

The money I've spent on all my UPSes has paid for itself over, and over
again.