After a power cut my machine cannot boot

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 08:40:59 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-09-09 at 16:20 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/09/2015 04:00 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> > Thanks, Patrick. The default clean installation of F21 does not
> > already install a journaling filesystem?
>
> I think that the default is ext4, which is journalling.  LVM is also
> the default, and I've no idea how that handles these things.  My
> advice is, if you're a home user you probably don't need it.

I agree that you don't need LVM (if that's what you meant). I do think
you need a journalling filesystem.

However in the present case it's conceivable that the power fail did
some damage to the actual drive, especially if there was also a power
spike, in which case a journal may not save you. You might have better
protection with a mirrored drive, but really there are no guarantees.
Backup often.

poc