Recreating SMB printer -> PDF -> input program

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Sep 10 11:20:56 UTC 2015

Back in the good old days (F9) I could set up a dummy SMB printer which would
accept the file and then call a program to deal with it. I used this with
Apple PS drivers on Windows PC's to create PDF files and email them back to
the user. These were back in the days before windows PDF printe drivers such
as CutePDF.

I'm now looking to re-create this on a more modern Fedora box (19, or 21
depending which box I use).  I've installed CUPS-PDF and configured a virtual
printer. However, I have two problems:

1) the printer is not storing the file in the directory specified. I set up
the connection as cups-pdf:/var/spool/cups-pdf/created but it stored the file
in /root/Desktop/

2) I can't see any method of being able to trigger a program to handle the
newly created file.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to sort these problems, or to suggest an
alternative.