Recreating SMB printer -> PDF -> input program

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Thu Sep 10 12:11:14 UTC 2015

On 09/10/15 19:20, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Back in the good old days (F9) I could set up a dummy SMB printer which would
> accept the file and then call a program to deal with it. I used this with
> Apple PS drivers on Windows PC's to create PDF files and email them back to
> the user. These were back in the days before windows PDF printe drivers such
> as CutePDF.
>
> I'm now looking to re-create this on a more modern Fedora box (19, or 21
> depending which box I use).  I've installed CUPS-PDF and configured a virtual
> printer. However, I have two problems:
>
> 1) the printer is not storing the file in the directory specified. I set up
> the connection as cups-pdf:/var/spool/cups-pdf/created but it stored the file
> in /root/Desktop/

Are you saying that in /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf you changed the default

Out ${DESKTOP}      (which on my system causes the pdf to be placed on the calling user's Desktop)
Out /var/spool/cups-pdf/created  ?

And then restarted the cups service

> 2) I can't see any method of being able to trigger a program to handle the
> newly created file.

How did you see this working?  Somehow click on a file and be able to send it to the PDF print queue and then fed to an email client?

--
It seems most people that say they are "done talking about it" never really are until given the last word.