Recreating SMB printer -> PDF -> input program

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Thu Sep 10 14:30:08 UTC 2015

On 09/10/15 22:12, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> No, I added the path to the connection field in system-config-printers as per
> the web page I was following.
>
> I've now updated the config as you suggested. I now have the line
>
> OUT /var/spool/cups-pdf/created
>
> however, when I did a test print it put the file as
>
> /var/spool/cups-pdf/root/job_4281-Test_Page.pdf
>
> (I turned on tagging too as the eventual use of this will see people all
> printing the same named report

That is odd....

I just changed my Out phrase from

Out ${DESKTOP}
Out /var/spool/cups-pdf/created

did a systemctl restart cups.service

and printed a test page from "System Settings" of KDE as myself and it worked as expected.

[root at meimei created]# pwd
/var/spool/cups-pdf/created

[root at meimei created]# ll
total 128
-rw-------. 1 egreshko egreshko 128993 Sep 10 22:24 Test_Page.pdf

>> > How did you see this working?  Somehow click on a file and be able to send
>> > it to the PDF print queue and then fed to an email client?
> The old smb.conf section used to look like:
>
> [t-cards]
>   comment = T-Cards document library submissions
>   path = /var/spool/t-cards
>   browseable = yes
>   public = yes
>   guest ok = yes
>   writeable = no
>   printable = yes
>   users = gary
>   force user = gary
>   force group = gary
>   valid users = gary
>   print command
> = /usr/bin/smb_to_t-cards '/var/spool/t-cards/' '%f' '%J' '%m' '%s' '%p' '%c' '%z'
>
> Once Samba had finished receiving the file it called the command smb_to_tcards
> script which then the required processing. This is what I want to recreate.

Don't know anything about samba, sorry.

--
It seems most people that say they are "done talking about it" never really are until given the last word.