Looking for application to clone a disk with incremental backup

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Sep 10 19:27:45 UTC 2015

On 09/10/2015 12:08 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Do you know of some application to clone a disk with incremental
> backup? I know about clonezilla, but, unfortunately, clonezilla does
> not have yet differential/incremental backup implemented. (
> http://clonezilla.org/ )

Well, sure. Cloning a drive is a totally different thing than doing
backups (which are typically file-based) and I doubt a clone package
will ever have incremental backup capacity.

After all, a clone is a snapshot of the drive at the time the clone was
done. Incremental backups are based on a full backup, then differences
between the last time a backup was done and the current backup.

For incremental backups, you could do something as simple as rsync or
use one of the many backup utilities around (amanda, bacula,
mondorescue, etc.).