Looking for application to clone a disk with incremental backup

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Sep 10 21:14:04 UTC 2015

On 09/10/2015 02:04 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/10/2015 01:43 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
>> Thanks, Joe, for your reply. BackInTime seems to be a great backup
>> tool -- I am going to give it a try --  , but I was looking for a
>> cloning application (with differential /incremental backup).
>
> Make sure that your backup media is formatted to something that has
> symlinks because the program uses them when possible for files that
> haven't changed.  Not only do backups run faster, they take up a lot
> less space; I have about 30GB of data and 8.5 of freespace on a 16GB
> flashdrive right now.

Sparse file support on the backup medium is also very useful if the
backup program supports it. If the utility has compression support,
that's also a benefit to conserve space on the backup medium.

Of course, you could use something like SDFS (OpenDeDup) for the
backup medium and get even greater compression without resorting to
compression or sparse file support in the utility. OpenDeDup is sorta
new, but it does work.
-  If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, -
-          in five years there'd be a shortage of sand.              -
-                                              -- Milton Friedman    -