dracut fails to build bootable initramfs on fc22

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 00:50:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> The reason I need to mount the USB stick is to save the sosreport file
>> after an unsuccessful boot. Is there any difference in the way devices
>> are managed in a rescue mode versus just booting a kernel?
>
> It should be possible, I do it regularly. This is just regular MBR/GPT
> partitioned USB stick with ext234 format? No LVM? The blkid command
> should work in the dracut shell and tell you what is where.

Yes, just an ext3 format. I've since learned it appears to be
necessary to have the USB stick inserted into the working system being
used to create the initramfs, or the module isn't copied into the
initramfs, therefore making it impossible to mount from the dracut
shell.

I've also just updated the system to 4.1.6-201.fc22.x86_64, and I
don't believe the USB stick was inserted at the time, yet the
initramfs contains usb-storage, so I really don't know for sure what's
going on.

I tried "dracut --add-modules usb-storage ..." but it says usb_storage
(with an underscore) it wasn't found. It sounds like the --add-modules
is for dracut modules?

I hope someone can help clarify the confusion with dracut modules and
kernel modules and why usb-storage is included while other times it's
not.

Thanks,
Alex