What is broken with software update?

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 01:36:47 UTC 2015

On 09/13/2015 07:07 AM, John Mellor wrote:
> Then (since I'm developing a deep distrust of software update), I did a
> CLI dnf update.  There were 27 updates pending.  Clearly, software
> update is broken.

Nothing is clearly broken.

yum/dnf repositories are not synchronized.  No mechanism nor mandate
exists for keeping them in sync.  This has been discussed to death on
this list, but no example has been provided that can't be explained
simply as "dnf checked a repository with older data and then, later,
checked a different repository with data that is more up to date."

That's the way distributed mirror systems work, and it's nothing to
worry about.  You *will* get updates, when the mirrors pull data.

If you're concerned about getting updates immediately, don't rely on dnf
at all.  Subscribe to the RSS feed:
http://fedoraplanet.org/infofeed/

There's a perfectly good, centralized source of information about
updates available to everyone.