shutdown machine from crontab

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Wed Sep 16 01:12:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

Can you try:

systemctl poweroff

instead of /usr/bin/poweroff and see if that works?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:55:58 -0800 Antonio Olivares <wingators at inbox.com> wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I had a crontab entry to shutdown machine for a while.  It had
>
> 30 16 * * 1-5 /usr/sbin/poweroff > 2&>1 /dev/null
>
> and machine shutdown every weekday (mon-fri) at 4:30 pm.  But I don't remember which fedora 19/20 the crontab entry (did not work as regular user but I had to use it as root user) now it seems to work by command line
>
> $ /usr/sbin/poweroff
>
> powers off machine.  But if I leave the same command in crontab entry it(machine) does not poweroff.  What could be preventing the machine from powering off?  What should I try?  I know that I can become superuser and add a crontab as superuser(root) and machine will shutdown, but how can I do it without being root?  It used to work before via crontab, it did not 2 or three releases ago, now it seems to work from terminal, but not from crontab.  Any ideas.  Running Fedora 22 on machine in question.
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Antonio A. Olivares

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.