acl

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Sep 22 21:53:57 UTC 2015

On 22Sep2015 14:53, Patrick Dupre <pdupre at gmx.com> wrote:
>> On 22Sep2015 13:22, Patrick Dupre <pdupre at gmx.com> wrote:
>> >I am trying to use the acl, but I have not been successful.
>> Do commands like setfacl fail?
>Yes,
>
>I did:
>setfacl -m u:amsterdam:r out.pdf
>
>but masterdam cannot access to the file:
>
>ls /home/pdupre/out.pdf
>ls: cannot access /home/pdupre/out.pdf: Permission denied
>or
>I/O Error: Couldn't open file '/home/pdupre/out.pdf'

Please don't top post. It makes the context hard to understand. I've put some
context back up the top.

setfacl has the charming feature that changes have no effect until it is
invoked with the --mask option.

Please retry your test like this:

  setfacl -m u:amsterdam:r --mask out.pdf

I am privately imagining that this "feature" allows one to do several changes
to an ACL but not have them take effect until the last one., thus permitting
atomic effects from incremental changes. But it is really annoying.

BTW, "I/O Error"? If that is an OS error something if bad. On the other hand it
might just be a mislead application error string. Your "Permission denied"
message is what I would expect.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>