Fedora 22 fails to ask for user authentication on reboot

Sudhir Khanger ml at sudhirkhanger.com
Thu Sep 24 06:23:56 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am on Fedora 22 Plasma Desktop. I am not sure if it has always been like
this but recently I am simply able to reboot my system without any
authentication. I run reboot or systemctl reboot and system reboots without
any prompt or timer or asking user for password.

One big problem with not asking user to enter password or starting a 30
seconds timer is that your system shuts down immediately with you losing all
or any work. I was working on my VPS and I mistakenly executed reboot on my
system's TTY.

Is this normal behavior on Fedora 22?

$ rpm -qa | grep systemd
systemd-219-24.fc22.x86_64

$ cat /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.login1.policy
<action id="org.freedesktop.login1.reboot">
		<defaults>
                        <allow_any>auth_admin_keep</allow_any>
                        <allow_inactive>auth_admin_keep</allow_inactive>
                        <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
                </defaults>
 </action>

auth_admin: Authentication as an administrative user is require.
auth_admin_keep: The same as auth_admin but, like sudo, the authorization
lasts a few minutes.

If I am not mistaken according to the above poklit config it should ask for
authentication.

--
Regards,
Sudhir Khanger,