The most recent kernel: Plague of Fives, and fatally inefficient networking

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 17:35:00 UTC 2015

Everyone:

This morning I updated to the latest kernel. And promptly shut down and
rebooted the immediate previous kernel, which is the Last Known Good.

Here's why:

1. The kernel, once again, is prone to an annoying flaw: it produces a
Plague of Fives. Any time a text box opens up, a string of repeated
digits 5 appears. The only way to shut it off is to type "5" again.

2. The computer became almost inaccessible to other computers on the
network. File sharing slowed to a totally unacceptable crawl.

This last was a critical error. And of course it never occurred to me to
suspect the kernel. That is, until I saw the Plague of Fives return.

/No/, kernel group! Do /not/ tell me I have a problem with a sticking 5
key. If that were the problem, then pressing Shift would change
"55555555555..." to 5555555555%%%%%%..." It doesn't. More to the point,
the Plague of Fives tended to go away with the next iteration of the kernel.

Well, I'm not going to wait that long. I'm not going to use this version
of the kernel. I will wait for someone to push another one.

Because when I reverted to the Last Known Good, the Plague of Fives
disappeared, and the network file-share problem resolved.

Temlakos