Linux on a Mac - restoring via rsync produces an unbootable laptop

CS DBA cs_dba at consistentstate.com
Fri Sep 25 15:51:09 UTC 2015

Hi all;

Recently I installed Fedora 21 on a macbook pro, it worked pretty well.
I take regular backups via an rsync of the entire system to an external
drive.  After an update I had an issue I could not easily resolve so I
restored the last rsync of the system. On other laptops this simply
returns the system to what it was like at the time of the backup,
however on the macbook it rendered it un-bootable, it simply booted to a
mac error screen

Anyone know what I did wrong? Is there a different approach I need to
take for backups?

Thanks in advance