Time Machine filesystem

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 17:31:22 UTC 2015

I have an external USB drive created on a (now-defunct) Mac, which
contains a Time Machine backup set among other things. I can mount the
drive under Fedora (read-only, but that's fine) and manually explore it
to get my files back. Manually because Apple does tricks with the usual
Unix conventions to support hard-linking to directories. See
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080623213342356

There's a project on github to deal with this:
https://github.com/abique/tmfs and I've made some progress in compiling
it under Fedora (basically installing C++ and the devel packages for
Boost and Fuse), however at the last make step I get this:

$ make

[ 12%] Linking CXX executable tmfs
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/tmfs.dir/src/main.cc.o: undefined reference to symbol '__cxa_call_unexpected@@CXXABI_1.3'
/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
CMakeFiles/tmfs.dir/build.make:226: recipe for target 'tmfs' failed
make[2]: *** [tmfs] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:67: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/tmfs.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/tmfs.dir/all] Error 2

I'm guessing a library must be missing, but which one?

Ideas welcome.

poc