fedora 23

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 29 16:35:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:33:55PM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> > the only issue I have with a clean install, is reinstalling all of the
> > packages I add... it is a pain...
> Do a diff on the output of "rpm -qa", truncate the filenames to the
> essentials and feed that to the package manager. Worked for me.

Like this, by the way:

  rpm -qa --queryformat='%{name}\n'

Another approach is to use config management for this. See for example
this with Ansible:
https://github.com/maxamillion/ansible-maxamillion-workstation/tree/master

That way, it's declarative.

This is obviously a higher amount of up-front work, but can be worth it
if you are a) using config management for other stuff anyway, it's not
hard, or b) wanting to keep up on this area of technology because it's
it's a good job skill.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>