How to rip a DVD?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Fri Apr 1 03:02:05 UTC 2016

Howdy, all -

I have purchased a DVD for my kids, and I want to make it available on
their tablet for car trips and the like. Totally legal, not pirating,
blah, blah, blah.

I've always used handbrake to rip an mp4 file for this, but this
particular DVD seems to be copy protected somehow. It's "From Up On
Poppy Hill," from Studio Ghibli.

Does anyone know a way of doing this on Fedora? My Google-fu must not be
good, as I've found references to this being copy protected, but am only
finding links to closed source Windows software to make copies.

Thanks,
Thomas