How to rip a DVD?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Fri Apr 1 03:45:10 UTC 2016

On 04/01/16 11:02, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Howdy, all -
>
> I have purchased a DVD for my kids, and I want to make it available on
> their tablet for car trips and the like. Totally legal, not pirating,
> blah, blah, blah.
>
> I've always used handbrake to rip an mp4 file for this, but this
> particular DVD seems to be copy protected somehow. It's "From Up On
> Poppy Hill," from Studio Ghibli.
>
> Does anyone know a way of doing this on Fedora? My Google-fu must not be
> good, as I've found references to this being copy protected, but am only
> finding links to closed source Windows software to make copies.

In the past, before all my DVD players died, I used "dvdrip" (available in the rpmfusion
repo) to perform this function.
As long as I have libdvdcss installed I didn't have problems with copy protected media.

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from
computers altogether.