OT: Suspend/restore and USB devices

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 2 15:40:10 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-04-02 at 11:08 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I still don't understand why using the extension cable makes a
> difference.

I wonder if your motherboard only supplies low current to the USB ports
when in off/suspend modes, and that upsets the dongle.  What happens
with a shutdown, mains power disconnect, wait a while, then boot?

Though I wouldn't expect a small dongle to use a lot of power, it may be
at the tipping point where a longer cable introduces a significant
supply voltage drop.  Some USB cables only have very thin wires in them.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.