nvidia-304xx broken with new kernel

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 20:26:18 UTC 2016

I  can confirm the nvidia-304xx is broken, there is some problem with the
mttr. I have seen some solutions on some other forums, nothiing on the
Fedora side of business. I did exactly what Greshko said and it still did
not work on two of my machines. In the end I had to downgrade the kernel to
4.2.x and block the systems from further kernel/nvidia changes until second
notice.

I agree with Robin, this is an issue best dealt with the rpmfusion
packager, but it is good to discuss a little here because this list is the
first go-to, trusty,  place for Fedora users to check on problems.

BTW, bugzilla.rpmfusion.org has an invalid certificate (in case any of them
are listening to this), it might scare picky users.

JP

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 6:30 PM, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> On 01/30/16 04:50, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> > The latest two kernels and the nvidia-304xx module are incompatible.
> > That is, the nvidia.ko module built by akmod-nvidia-304xx won't load.
> > That means that my three machines with older nvidia video cards (one
> > built into the mobo) are stuck running the old
>
> I recently had a problem with the nvidia-340xx.  I would only get a blank
> screen with no X
> being started.  I did not check the logs I just did what has worked for me
> in the past.
>
> 1.  dnf erase *nvidia*
> 2.  reboot   (You could either boot to gui using nouveau or multi-user
> mode)
> 3.  dnf install akmod-nvidia-340xx   (In your case akmod-nvidia-304xx
> 4.  reboot
>
> There is nothing to lose by trying this.
>

> >>  kernel-4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64
> >    kernel-4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64
> >    kernel-4.3.3-301.fc23.x86_64
> >
> > In the past, incompatibilities were resolved in about a week.
> > This time, it's nearly a month.  No new package of akmod-nvidia-304xx
> > or kmod-nvidia-304xx has shown up at the
> > rpmfusion-nonfree-updates[-testing] repo.
> > The akmod-nvidia-340xx module on another machine that needs it runs fine.
> > Does anyone have a clue when this older version of the nvidia module
> > might be fixed?
> >
> > Here are the error messages with the newer kernel:
> >
> > Console error message when trying to run 'startxfce':
> >
> > (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
> > modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Unknown symbol in module,
> > or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> >

> > From dmesg:

> > [   12.563315] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
> > [   12.563325] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
> > [   12.573867] nvidia: Unknown symbol mtrr_del (err 0)
> > [   12.573977] nvidia: Unknown symbol mtrr_add (err 0)
> > [   31.162308] nvidia: Unknown symbol mtrr_del (err 0)
> > [   31.162397] nvidia: Unknown symbol mtrr_add (err 0)
> > [   81.656643] nvidia: Unknown symbol mtrr_del (err 0)
> > [   81.656736] nvidia: Unknown symbol mtrr_add (err 0)
> >

> --
> In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should
> stay away from
> computers altogether.
> --

 /\_/\