Lan connection problem -

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Tue Feb 9 22:02:47 UTC 2016

On 2/9/2016 3:46 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I can work around the problem by having my router powered from a UPS
> and being careful not to reboot the router. Once the router reboots
> the various wireless devices I have, printer, video cameras, etc. need
> their ac power "recycled" to get them connected to the LAN again. Very
> inconvenient at this time of year since some of these devices are in
> another building ...
>
> When this happens I can not ping those devices, normally I should be
> able to connect to the cameras with the browser and reboot them when
> some glitch occurs but now when I lose the LAN connection I have to
> visit them and pull the plug. The printer is near at hand and toggling
> the power switch gets it back on.

I would make note of the MAC addresses on each of the devices and check
your router to see if those devices are connected via wireless link
after it reboots.  Also, you may be able to check the DHCP log of the
router to see if requests are being made for IP addresses by any of the
devices. Sometimes is will have a table of devices that have secured IP
addresses and list their associate MAC addresses.

If they are shown as connected via wireless and are also in the DHCP
table, then try nmap and see what results you get.

Tom