Fedora 23 KDE Desktop sharing

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Feb 10 20:02:37 UTC 2016

On 02/10/2016 11:07 AM, Gary Baribault wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>      I've been running Fedore for years, and it used to be I could just
> walk the menus and share my desktop. That doesn't seem to work any more.
> I've googled until my fingers bled... I can get VNCServer up and running
> but when I access it from another machine I get a desktop but it's a new
> desktop. I want to access the existing desktop from another computer...
>
> I know, it's dangerous, but my FW to the internet is a CentOS box with
> SSH and to get to my desktop you need to ssh to my FW with proper
> credentials, and forward a tunnel to my desktop and then log in there as
> well, so I'm comfortable with the security.
>
> So, how do I set it up to share the existing desktop?

You need to a) make sure you've installed the "tigervnc-server-module"
RPM (which provides the /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libvnc.so
module); and b) add the "vnc" module to X.

To do the latter, I have a file:

	/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-system-setup-vnc.conf

that contains this content:

	# This file was manually created by Rick Stevens
	Section "Module"
	    Load "vnc"
	EndSection

	Section "Screen"
	    Identifier "Screen0"
	    Device "Videocard0"
	    Option "SecurityTypes" "VncAuth"
	    Option "UserPasswdVerifier" "VncAuth"
	    Option "passwordfile" "/path/to/your/vncpasswd/file"
	EndSection

Obviously, replace "/path/to/your/vncpasswd/file" with the appropriate
stuff (the double quotes MUST be there) and you'll need to create
that password file and password using

	vncpasswd /path/to/your/vncpasswd/file

Then reboot and you SHOULD be able to just "vncviewer remotehostname",
enter the password you used for the "vncpasswd" command and the main
main desktop should appear (assuming your firewall permits incoming
connections for that port, typically TCP port 5900).

You can also tunnel the remote VNC session via ssh:

	vncviewer --via user at hostname hostname

You'd need to put in the ssh password first, then the VNC password.
I do this to access my desktop at home (my firewall only permits
incoming ssh sessions from my office IP or my internal home network).

Alternately, you can use something like TeamViewer. It's up to you.