F22 - audacity-freeworld crashed on opening an amr recording

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Feb 12 18:25:54 UTC 2016

On 02/11/2016 07:02 PM, stan wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 15:12:43 -0500
> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a couple Android recordings that I need to convert to wav, so
>> I went to use my copy of audacity-freeworld to do the conversion. It
>> crashed on opening the flie.  I have the LAME files and haveworked
>> with mp3 files fine in the past.
> AMR is *not* mp3.

I am aware of that.  But one reference I found claimed that amr support
was in the LAME libraries.

>> I cannot find anything about problems on this.
> I don't think you looked very hard.
It is well documented that my search foo is weak.

>> Anyone know anything about it or other methods to convert amr files?
> "The amr file extension is for Adaptive Multi-Rate compressed audio.
> Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) is an audio data compression scheme optimized
> for speech coding."

That I found.  Nice to know it is a nice TLA.

> Use a tool like sox to convert the files to mp3 or wav directly.
>
> sox /mypath/my_audio.amr /mypath/my_audio.mp3
> or
> sox /mypath/my_audio.amr /mypath/my_audio.wav
>
> Then work with them in audacity.  When you are done, if you want them
> back in amr, reverse the process with sox.

Actually my first choice was to use audacity to do the conversion. Thus
I was trying to load amr into audacity.  Audacity should not crash hard
on loading a codec it does not understand.

Given these were a couple speaches I captured and the person wanting
them only has Media Player 12 (and the knowledge base info on adding amr
to that is pretty obtuse), I was asked to send it as wav.  I found a
website to upload to for the conversion.  I checked the output and did
not find any mal stuff dropped in.  So that is done.

I use VLC to listen to my amr recordings.

I used yumex and searched it for amr, and that did not offer sox. Google
search on amr conversion to wav did not offer sox.  But thanks to you, I
know this now and will give it a try.

thanks