Webex

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Feb 16 18:05:00 UTC 2016

On 02/16/2016 05:56 AM, Dirk Deimeke wrote:
> On 2016-02-01 11:49, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
>> For the future:
>> What are the open alternatives to WebEX ?
>
> take a look at jitsi.
>
> https://jitsi.org/
> https://meet.jit.si/ works with your recent webbrowser, no additional
> software needed.

Uh, isn't Jitsi primarily a SIP client/server? That makes it a bit less,
uhm, "available". You'd need to set up your own SIP registrar or use
Jitsi's server farm to permit "outsiders" to share.

I see they permit using Facebook's chat thing, but it requires opening
your FB account's "application platform" option which exposes most of
your FB data to other outside developers and people. You have no way to
protect private info in that case, so it's a really bad idea (not that
using FB is a great idea in the first place).