Re: gnome-disks: Disk is OK, 7080 bad sectors (31° C / 88° F)

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Feb 17 07:33:48 UTC 2016

Hey Richard,

Just keep in mind that depends on your usage the disk might get bad sectors.
As much as many including me would like to not have them happen they do
happen for any HDD vendor!
Some things that affect DISK lifespan:
- enterprise\server level usage on a desktop disk
- high times of over heating(can be a result of the above)
- very high number of random direct read+write operations exhausting the
mechanical parts of the disk.
- electricity stability issues which can cause magnetic interference in
disk operations.
- many others.

I have not operated Data Centers but I do know some operators that
report the same issues on very high end spinning disks from storage
vendors with fault rate of 1/100 disks per month and sometimes even
higher( 3-4/100).

And I must admit that I do not want to stain Seagate name and I must add
that couple years ago when 250GB was lots of space I bought a WD 250GB
HDD that faulted after only about 24 hours of operation.
What would you do after such a thing??

Eliezer