Trying to open ports in firewalld

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Feb 23 13:31:29 UTC 2016

I'm trying to setup kdeconnect between my Android phone
and my Fedora-23/KDE laptop.

I see that I have to open ports 1714-1764, TCP and UDP.
I'm running firewalld on the laptop.
I give the command "firewall-config" and authenticate.
Clicking on zone "internal" I see that kde-connect is ticked.
And when I go to Ports I see that ports 1714-1764 are listed, TCP and UDP.
And all this remains set if I reboot.

But I am not able to establish a connection under kdeconnect.
Neither device sees the other.
Also "sudo nmap -sT -O localhost" on the laptop does not show
these ports to be open.

If I run "sudo systemctl stop firewalld"
then I am able to establish the connection.

It seems that these firewalld commands
to not open the specified ports, as I would expect.

Could some firewalld expert please elucidate.

Incidentall, I tried the alternative firewall service some time ago,
and that seemed to open the ports OK.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net