webalizer replacement?

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Feb 24 18:45:55 UTC 2016

On 02/24/2016 08:28 AM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Quoting Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a fedora23 system with a few web sites, and would like to
>> generate some stats on them. What are people using for this these
>> days?
>>
>> I'd like to find total hits, bandwidth used, geolocation info, etc.
>>
>> I used to use webalizer, but it appears it's no longer being developed...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>
> here: http://www.webalizer.org/ is a good place to check status. I think
> that once something is fixed it's time to stop fixing it. Webalizer
> might already not need fixing...

Webalizer is still available in the repos as version 2.23_08-2, which
is the latest version available. It hasn't been updated in about 3
years, but it is mature and there apparently haven't been many bug
reports, hence it's not being updated.

One of my favorite quotes is: "If it's stupid and it works, it ain't
stupid!", so go ahead and keep using it. I still do. I even keep the
source tarball around--just in case I need to build it from scratch.

AWStats is good, too, and has the benefit of being able to be run "on
demand" from the web page it puts up. However it is Perl, isn't as fast
as webalizer and puts a heavier load on the machine running it. The
load issue is rather trivial with current hardware now.
-  Tempt not the dragons of fate, since thou art crunchy and taste   -
-                         good with ketchup.                         -