Trying to open ports in firewalld

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 13:36:30 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 5:48 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> Richard Shaw wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I see that I have to open ports 1714-1764, TCP and UDP.
> >> I'm running firewalld on the laptop.
> >> I give the command "firewall-config" and authenticate.
> >> Clicking on zone "internal" I see that kde-connect is ticked.
> >> And when I go to Ports I see that ports 1714-1764 are listed, TCP and
> >> UDP. And all this remains set if I reboot.
>

> > Let's try the simple stuff first... Is your default zone for your network
> > connection also "internal"?
>
> Thank you very much.
> That was indeed the issue.
> After changing the default zone to "internal" everything works fine.
>
> But I don't understand the reasoning behind this.
> This use of the term "zone" seems to me misleading and bizarre.
> I run shorewall on my home server, and there the "zone"
> can be "net", "local", etc.
> Any changes made to a particular zone come into effect
> on restarting shorewall.
> It would not make sense in this context to choose a "default zone".

Based on my limited understanding, each network interface can be associated
with a different zone, so in the case of a typical home user, you'll only
ever use one zone so you need to change the rules for the zone your one
network interface is associated with.

> Incidentally, restarting firewalld does not seem to me to work properly,
> as a window comes up asking for authentication.
> I don't recall any other service requiring this,
> and it would seem to prevent remote restarting.

I assume you're doing this from the gui interface as a normal user? In that
case yes, it wants to make sure you are some one in the "wheel" group so
it's a gui equivalent to sudo.

Thanks,
Richard