Signal out of rangee time

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 2 21:30:18 UTC 2016

On 01/02/16 10:58, Beartooth wrote:

> 	I'm getting an ancient horror message from my old HP w2207h flat
> panel monitor. I have a KVM switch between it and three different PCs, of
> which the newest (#1) is running F23, the oldest (#3) F22, and the middle
> F22 or F23 (I disremember which).
>
> 	About the time any of them finishes booting, the HP immediately
> slaps up a box over the top of the login box, complaining that the signal
> is out of range, and goes black.
>
> 	This monitor used to exercise this perversity when it was new, and
> it was a real bear (not to say a mother) to correct. If I recall aright,
> you had to get into xorg.conf somehow, guess the changes it wanted (and
> where it wanted them), make those changes, and reboot.
>
> 	That was years ago, and hasn't xorg.conf bitten the cyber-dust
> long since? PCs # 1 & 2 have been peacefully running Fedora; I think #3
> still has CentOS 6, but will switch to F23 as soon as I can get to it.

many moons ago, before grub, i had 4 boxen with various linux flavors
feeding a kvm and all worked.

after a lot of coin saving, i invested in an intelligent 19" crt monitor,
connected direct to each box and edited the xorg.config for each boxen to
match new monitor, only to have system failure with 'signal out of range'
err when feeding thru kvm.

after many attempts of more editing of xorg.config file with all failing,
i gave up and decided to power up just 1 box to see if it would boot. it
did. i then powered up other three boxen and all was well.

my only conclusion was the kvm was getting confused, tho i still have yet
to reason why, nor have i bothered to give it further thought.

so, question to you, have you tried powering up just 1 box to see what
happens?

--
peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.7

tc,hago.