Scroll Bars not Working Properly in F22 Applications in KDE

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sun Jan 3 20:35:56 UTC 2016

On 03/11/15 16:20, bitlord wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 11:27:00 +1100
> Stephen Morris <samorris at netspace.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I have an issue certain applications not displaying the scroll bars
>> properly.
>>
>> I am using the upstream Nightly version of Firefox and the upstream
>> Daily version of Thunderbird. Both of these display the vertical
>> scroll bar permanently, but neither of them display the top and
>> bottom arrows. Another application I have looked at is Gedit which
>> only displays the vertical scroll bar when you mouse over it, but it
>> doesn't display the top and bottom arrows either. I get these issues
>> irrespective of what KDE theme I use.
>> Looking at the KDE Settings App it displays the scroll bars with top
>> and bottom arrows fine.
>>
>> The Kwin script to force window decorations on GTK+ apps is active.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas why the above mentioned applications don't
>> show the arrows but the KDE Settings Application does show the
>> arrows, and whether or not there is anyway to rectify it? From memory
>> I did not have this issue in F21 and F22 was installed from scratch
>> from the live DVD because the F21->F22 upgrade process does not work
>> on my system (the upgrade process wants to run the install from the
>> Grub menu and on my system my wireless network is not active at that
>> point and cannot be made active because of required drivers).
>>
>> regards,
>> Steve
> About scrollbars, gedit is gtk+ application (gtk+3.x in this case), not
> sure about FF and Tbird (nightly builds could use gtk+3.x), Fedora FF
> package uses gtk+3 now, so editing theme or changing it can give you
> arrows, and about hidden scroll bars it is a new gtk+ feature[1]
> (>=3.16), so one way is to change default GTK+ theme, or possible
> solution is to export "GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0".
>

> [1] https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/10/23/an-early-view-of-gtk-3-16/
Since raising this issue I have upgraded to F23 and nothing has changed.
I did an export "GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0" both with and without the
quotes from Konsole and it made no difference.
I have also changed the GTK Theme through KDE's System Settings and that
has not made any apparent difference to the way Gedit displays, it still
seems to be using the same theme regardless (unless of course things
like the title bar are configured the same in both themes).
It also seems that both Firefox nightly and Thunderbird daily are not
GTK apps as both of these display with the KDE Theme, so I am struggling
to understand why these 3 apps don't display scrollbar arrows, but
Kwrite (which displays with the KDE Theme) does display scrollbar arrows.

regards,
Steve