OT: On dual boot system - need to expand windoze partition ...

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 18:44:24 UTC 2016

On 6 January 2016 at 17:49, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/06/2016 10:32 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 10:16 -0700, jd1008 wrote:
>>>
>>> by catenation to a partition on an external drive.
>>>
>>> I do not want to shrink the fedora partition, but I could
>>> if necessary; in which case does fedora have a partition
>>> resizer?
>>>
>>> I know I can back up the fedora partition, resize it and
>>> and restore from backup. But that could take many hours
>>> of down time. I was wondering if there is a util that
>>> can do it to an unmounted fedora partition.
>>
>> Resizing the partition can be done with gparted, but note that you
>> first have to resize the filesystem within the partition, and how you
>> do that depends on which fs you have as not all of them support
>> reducing the size.
>>
>> poc
>
> The fedora partition is the 2nd partition and sizes are as follows:
>
> $ fdisk -l /dev/sda
> Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
> Disklabel type: dos
> Disk identifier: 0x0004ccd9
>
> Device     Boot      Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
> /dev/sda1  *          2048   84033535   84031488  40.1G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
> /dev/sda3         84035584 1919970735 1835935152 875.5G 83 Linux
> /dev/sda4       1919970736 1953525167   33554432    16G 82 Linux swap /
> Solaris
>
> I want to move sda3 start position some 32GB to the right, thus shrinking it
> by 32GB.
> sda3 is the fedora boot partition and formatted and mounted as ext4.
>
> P.S: Notice that sda2 is missing - because it was a tiny remnant partition
> of windows
> restoration utils (about 100 meg), which had proved to be useless to me,
> since I use backup
> and restore which completely obviated those tools. So, I expanded windows
> partition into what was
> sda2. Of course, I had first deleted sda2 in order to use windows storage
> gui to expand
> C: drive into the space that was sda2.
> But still, windoze needs a little more room, as it is running out of swap
> area.

I think gparted should be able to do this for you, first move the
start of the linux partition and filesystem towards the end of the
disc (you'll have to shrink that filesystem, also done in gparted) and
then move it to create free space next to windows. Moving the start of
a filesystem is more risky than simply shrinking or growing it and
could take a while, you definitely want to have a backup. I'd opt to
use windows tools to do the ntfs growing afterwards (since it's
windows's filesystem). If your linux /boot is on sda3 you may need to
reinstall grub after the move too, so make sure you know how to do
that.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk