partition management in dual-boot laptop / limited space

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 00:29:47 UTC 2016

On 6 January 2016 at 23:56, Sylvia Sánchez <lailahfsf at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, I strongly recommend to put /home in a separated partition. It
> will save you time any time you make a fresh install.

Yes, it's how I've got my desktop set up, previously my laptop didn't
have enough space to make that practical. Though USB sticks with
impressive capacity are now cheap enough that you can just take a copy
of /home and restore it afterwards.

> Second, may I ask what use you give to your Windows? I mean, why you
> keep a dual boot?

Stuff. I like having tools around (which is why I usually run
Linux...). Desktop, gaming and any streaming that doesn't work on
Linux (there's only so much messing about with pipelight and making
quesitonable SELinux changes I'll put up with), occasionally bits of
audio software. Laptop similar, less often gaming, VM is maybe
becoming more of a realistic option for what I use it for, but I don't
find a dual boot much different in convenience (and of course there
can be license issues) in exchange for being able to run on full
hardware.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk