[Fedora] - No GUI after install bumblebee on Fedora 23

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:15:17 UTC 2016

On 7 January 2016 at 15:11, Earl A Ramirez <earlaramirez at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a ASUS laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology, therefore, I used the
> Fedora documentation [0] to install bumbleeble using the third party
> managed driver to install NVIDIA. After the installation I am no longer
> seeing the NVIDIA when I use 'lspci | grep VGA'; however, when I use 'lspci
> | egrep 'VGA|3D'' I can see the NVIDIA video card.
>
> $ lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 191b (rev 06)
>
> $ lspci | egrep 'VGA|3D'
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 191b (rev 06)
> 01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev
> a2)
>
> Also I no longer see the vgaswitcheroo under /sys/kernel/debug/. When I
> try to boot with the kernel that NVIDIA was build on; the laptop locks up
> just before the GUI and you will hear the fans blowing and the only way
> around it is to power the laptop down. I have tried booting into that
> kernel with different kernel parameters; E.g. nomodeset
> rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau and even i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 and all
> options and combinations fails.
>
> However when I boot from the kernel that NVIDIA was not compiled on I can
> the the get a display that says "oops something went wrong, please try
> again" and there is an option to log out, I can also switch to another
> virtual console and have full access to the OS. I get the same behaviour
> even if I use nomodeset; however, if I use i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 I
> get the appropriate resolution.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on how to get the GUI, with bumblebee or even
> the Intel graphic drivers?
>
> The packages that were installed are:
> $ rpm -qa | egrep 'bumblebee|bbswitch|primus|VirtualGL'
> primus-1.1.03282015-2.fc23.x86_64
> bumblebee-nvidia-352.63-2.fc23.x86_64
> bbswitch-dkms-0.8.0-2.fc23.x86_64
> bumblebee-nonfree-release-1.2-1.noarch
> VirtualGL-2.4-5.fc23.i686
> bumblebee-release-1.2-1.noarch
> primus-1.1.03282015-2.fc23.i686
> VirtualGL-2.4-5.fc23.x86_64
> bumblebee-3.2.1-9.fc23.x86_64

<snip>

Sounds like we practically the same laptop ...

This will go a lot easier for you if you install kernel 4.3.3-300 from
updates-testing as that has the full skylake  i915 support (so don't do
preliminary_hw_support on that).

This looks suspicious ... Xorg should not see the NVIDIA driver if you've
managed to follow the bumblebee instructions correctly:

(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[     4.334] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[     4.334]  compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[     4.334]  Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[     4.335] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  358.16  Mon Nov 16 18:54:01 PST 2015

Compare this to mine where optirun/bumblebee/primus works fine:

[    23.343] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[    23.343] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[    23.345] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    23.345]    compiled for 1.18.0, module version = 1.0.0
[    23.345]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 9.0

If the NVIDIA GLX libraries are loaded into xorg it'll trash your intel
stuff ...

Are you sure you didn't install the NVIDIA proprietary drivers (rpmfusion,
negativo17 or directly) in some way other than only through the bumblebee
non-free repo?

This is my configuration:
$ rpm -qa | grep -E 'nvidia|bumblebee|bbswitch|primus|VirtualGL'
primus-1.1.03282015-2.fc23.i686
bumblebee-3.2.1-9.fc23.x86_64
VirtualGL-2.4-5.fc23.i686
bumblebee-release-1.2-1.noarch
bumblebee-nvidia-352.63-2.fc23.x86_64
VirtualGL-2.4-5.fc23.x86_64
bbswitch-dkms-0.8.0-2.fc23.x86_64
bumblebee-nonfree-release-1.2-1.noarch
primus-1.1.03282015-2.fc23.x86_64

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX has in it nouveau.modeset=0 and
rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau

Before I updated to 4.3.3 today the preliminary_hw_support=1 was needed as
well.

What's the output of bumblebee-nvidia --check for you ?