[Fedora] - No GUI after install bumblebee on Fedora 23

Earl A Ramirez earlaramirez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 02:21:01 UTC 2016

On 8 January 2016 at 02:22, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 Jan 2016 5:00 p.m., "Earl A Ramirez" <earlaramirez at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 8 January 2016 at 01:15, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> the Fedora documentation [0] to install bumbleeble using the third party
> managed driver to install NVIDIA. After the installation I am no longer
> seeing the NVIDIA when I use 'lspci | grep VGA'; however, when I use 'lspci
> | egrep 'VGA|3D'' I can see the NVIDIA video card.

> 06)

> 06)
> (rev a2)

> I try to boot with the kernel that NVIDIA was build on; the laptop locks up
> just before the GUI and you will hear the fans blowing and the only way
> around it is to power the laptop down. I have tried booting into that
> kernel with different kernel parameters; E.g. nomodeset
> rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau and even i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 and all
> options and combinations fails.

> can the the get a display that says "oops something went wrong, please try
> again" and there is an option to log out, I can also switch to another
> virtual console and have full access to the OS. I get the same behaviour
> even if I use nomodeset; however, if I use i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 I
> get the appropriate resolution.

> even the Intel graphic drivers?

> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Sounds like we practically the same laptop ...
> >>
> >> This will go a lot easier for you if you install kernel 4.3.3-300 from
> updates-testing as that has the full skylake  i915 support (so don't do
> preliminary_hw_support on that).
> >>
> >> This looks suspicious ... Xorg should not see the NVIDIA driver if
> you've managed to follow the bumblebee instructions correctly:
> >>
> >> (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
> >> [     4.334] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> >> [     4.334]  compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> >> [     4.334]  Module class: X.Org Server Extension
> >> [     4.335] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  358.16  Mon Nov 16 18:54:01 PST
> 2015
> >>
> >> Compare this to mine where optirun/bumblebee/primus works fine:
> >>
> >> [    23.343] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
> >> [    23.343] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
> >> [    23.345] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> >> [    23.345]    compiled for 1.18.0, module version = 1.0.0
> >> [    23.345]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 9.0
> >>
> >> If the NVIDIA GLX libraries are loaded into xorg it'll trash your intel
> stuff ...
> >>
> >> Are you sure you didn't install the NVIDIA proprietary drivers
> (rpmfusion, negativo17 or directly) in some way other than only through the
> bumblebee non-free repo?
> >>
> >> This is my configuration:
> >> $ rpm -qa | grep -E 'nvidia|bumblebee|bbswitch|primus|VirtualGL'
> >> primus-1.1.03282015-2.fc23.i686
> >> bumblebee-3.2.1-9.fc23.x86_64
> >> VirtualGL-2.4-5.fc23.i686
> >> bumblebee-release-1.2-1.noarch
> [...]
Thanks for the info James

I performed a clean install and used the preliminary hw argument for the
the default kernel 4.2.x and everything worked fine; enabled
fedora-updates-testing repo and installed kernel 4.3 added the
nouveau.modeset=0 and rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau to the kernel argument
and it fails when it tried to load the USB drivers.

My laptop models is [0] Hardware name: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
GL552VW/GL552VW, BIOS GL552VW.210 09/01/2015; if I can't get to boot from
kernel 4.3 I will try and compile mainline kernel and try that or just
settle for the Intel driver for now.

If you have any more tips and tricks; I'll be more than happy to give it s
a shot; In the mean time I will install bumblebee with the 4.2 kernel and
see if that will go well.

[0] http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM170008064/A18486

--
Kind Regards