Is rfkill new?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:36:53 UTC 2016

I've just been getting switched over to fedora 23 from 22, and
spent a long time figuring out why the heck my wifi dongle
as access point didn't work any longer.

I finally found log messages about the interface being soft
blocked by rfkill, which then led me down another rabbit hole
to figure out what the heck rfkill and soft blocking was about.

Is rfkill completely new in fedora 23, or has it been around
for a while, but the default recently changed to blocked rather
than unblocked?

(I do have things working now by adding unblock code to my
script that starts the access point).