Miracast support still broken in Fedora? or is there hope?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 12:46:10 UTC 2016

Almost a year ago (11 months), the developer of Miracleclast, which
implements Miracast [1] support for Linux, wrote:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2015-February/458142.html

On 02.02.2015 19:58, David Herrmann wrote:
>* [snip]
*>* As people continuously ask me about this, I'll just try to answer it
*>* on the public ML:
*> >* To make Miracast work, we need access to a Wifi P2P API. The kernel
*>* implements Wifi P2P and wpa_supplicant provides access to it via it's
*>* ctrl-interface (and I think recently even gained a dbus API). In
*>* MiracleCast I wrote a miracle-wifid daemon that wraps wpa_supplicant
*>* and provides P2P to MircaleCast. However, this does not work well in
*>* parallel to NetworkManager/wicd/connman/... running. You really cannot
*>

* run wpa_supplicant multiple times on the same interface. but the key
is this:*>* **HENCE MiracleCast development is currently stalled until
the different
*>
* network-managers provide a P2P API***

The NetworkManager devs must have had then 11 months from this message
to implement what was needed for Miraclecast to work.

*Now, on CES2016 Dell has announced its monitors with MiracleCast
support built-in [2]*

*so there's not even a need to buy a $18 AnyCast HDMI dongle [3]
anymore and meaning that Anycast is here to stay and will become
evermore important...*

*Given all this, ARE WE THERE YET? has been NetworkManager been fixed
to make MiracleCast a*

*first-class citizen on Fedora Linux?. Any plans to add MiracleCast to
the distro? *

*Is anyone even thinking about these issues? why not?*

*My Windows 8.1 tablet handles Miracast displays seamlessly, I just go
to the windows settings -> display and an option appears dubbed
"connect to wireless display". 10 seconds later mi main display is
mirrored on the big screen TV. Lovely.*

*Now re-reading the above thread and seeing what a mess this is in
Linux, it really makes my blood boil, because things shouldn't be like
this.*

*Is there hope? please tell me there's already someone working on this...*

*FC*

*[1] Miracast definition
(wikipedia)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast>*

*[2] *Dell Miracast Wireless Monitors Unveiled At CES 2016

*http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/dell-miracast-wireless-monitors-unveiled-at-ces-2016-07-01-2016/
<http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/dell-miracast-wireless-monitors-unveiled-at-ces-2016-07-01-2016/>[3]
*

*AnyCast M2 Plus Mini Wi-Fi Display TV Dongle Receiver 1080P -
$19http://goo.gl/uxaf65 <http://goo.gl/uxaf65>*

act
- George Orwell