XFCE power manager no longer turns off the monitor

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jan 10 01:13:45 UTC 2016

Sam Varshavchik writes:

>> On Tue, 2015-12-29 at 08:19 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> > At some point recently, my monitor stopped getting turned off after
>> > the
>> > prescribed period of inactivity. I'm using the XFCE power manager,
>> > and its
>> > settings remain untouched.
>> >
>> > Manually executing "xset dpms force off" turns the monitor off
>> > normally.
>> > "xset q" shows that everything appears to be in order:
>> >
>> > DPMS (Energy Star):
>> >   Standby: 300    Suspend: 360    Off: 420
>> >   DPMS is Enabled
>> >   Monitor is On
>> >
>> > So, what else can I check?
>>
>> I doubt this is your issue, but just in case...
>>
>> Does it only fail to do the "Off" part or is it not doing any of the
>> three?
>
> It wasn't doing anything at all.

Ok, this problem kept popping up occasionally, and I've been able to do some
additional digging.

It appears that after a reboot, DPMS is off. After a reboot, "xset dpms q"
shows:

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 360    Suspend: 0    Off: 420
  DPMS is Disabled

And after I issue a manual "xset dpms force off", then bring the display
back up:

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 360    Suspend: 0    Off: 420
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

So, the issue is that after a reboot, DPMS is off by default.